Thursday, September 25, 2008

Birthday Celebration #4

Oh goodie goodie goodie. Now we come to the very best part of the party! CAKE!! Do you have a favorite cake? I sure do. It's just like this Jello Cake recipe except we use lemon cake mix, poke holes with a straw and then pour in cherry jello. It's super yum.


(Picture borrowed from SoCalCameraHappy's Flickr account.)

I always love cake time. Yes, the food is good, the family and friends, the fun. All good stuff! But the cake is my favorite. I mean its not like we eat cake everyday, so its a specialty. When its time for cake, my family sings the regular Happy Birthday song, usually in key. However, my mom always used to sing a different song which has remained my favorite. I sing it to my kids on their birthday.
A HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.
A HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.
EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR,
MAY YOU FEEL JESUS NEAR.
A HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.
A HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.
THE BEST YEAR YOU'VE EVER HAD.
(Sorry, couldn't find the tune to share with you.)

My sister in law loves ice cream cakes, I do too. I found a recipe online on how to make your own instead of purchasing an expensive one. I'll have to try that sometime!

Cake & Desserts:
Cakes & Cupcakes
Coolest Birthday Cakes
All Occasion Cakes
Grownup Birthday Cakes
Cake Recipes
Birthday Desserts
Fancy Dessert Recipes
Cheesecakes

As for coffee to serve with your cake, my favorite is dad's coffee. We call him the coffee connoisseur. He buys green coffee beans, roasts & grinds his own (my fav is usually Ethiopia Organic although dad also buys coffee from a small family farm in Hawaii. I'll try to get a link for you.) He collects over 100 vacuum coffee pots, all old and he presents his coffee in a french press. It's a delectable experience. What coffee do you love?

Etsy Cake Finds
Etsy Coffee Finds

Today's prizes are going to be so fun! It's all about sewing. Sort of.

1 - First prize is a 10 yards mix of various ribbons, vintage trims and laces I have. Not exactly what you see here, but they will all be good. You remember my large ribbon collection don't you?



2 - One winner will win a wonderful pile of fabrics (not exactly what is shown, that's just a sample.) I have shiny, patterned, solids, rough, thick, thin, vintage, new. I have so much, I'd love to share some.



3 - DD made this raw organic wrist cuff awhile back that I think is super cute. It should fit a wrist of about 7". Mine is 8" so it just doesn't fit me. Boo hoo. I will also include some fabric so you can make your own.



To win one of these giveaways, just leave a comment on this post with maybe your favorite cake/cake recipe, coffee or anything else fun to share.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. I just had to share a couple things that happened this week (that have nothing to do with my celebration, although they are reasons to celebrate!)

Someone emailed me and said I was on the FRONT PAGE of Etsy this week. How exciting is that? Never happened to me before. One of my collages made it into someone's wonderful treasury and voila', lots of exposure. Oh! And the piece that was in the treasury sold. I'm a little sad. It's a favorite piece (see below.) I guess I'll just have to make another. lol I also sold the fun owl piece.



Last week I entered a drawing and actually won! I won this gorgeous collage AND she threw in a new pack of Tim Holtz Grungeboard (Grungeboard Elements Harlequin is the set I rec'd.) I've always wanted to try it out but never have. I foresee some fun projects in the near future.



I have some exciting things coming up in October to share with you. Artsy things I'll be working on. I can't wait to get started! What are you working on right now? Gearing up for Christmas yet? You only have 90 days after all. (for Kersten, here's the ticker you were waiting for. Happy now?! lol)


(NOTE: There are 10 posts with giveaways for my birthday celebration. Don't forget to sign up for EACH post's prizes.)

18 comments:

trisha too said...

Now you're an Etsy Contessa! Wow, congratulations, that is very neat!

My mom has been making that Jell-o cake for years, and it is SOOOOOO good, especially in the summer--we like lemon cake, lime Jell-o, and vanilla pudding on top for the "icing."

French pressed really is the best coffee; Father knows best!

:)

Kathie said...

Haad fun visiting your blog. Yum! Cake! And sewing goodies!!!!!!!!!!!
Blessings from Costa Rica

Artist-How-To said...

No way can anything be wrong with fabric and cake!

miscellanea said...

I am a huge fan of Key lime pie. Mr Misc once made me a Key lime pie with real Key limes AND used British digestive biscuits for the crust. It was like a baked-goods representation of me! (Which I then promptly ate up. My metaphor falls apart here.)

On the coffee front, I've been lucky enough to see a vacuum pot in action -- they raise coffee making to a level of art, imho. So cool! We grind our own here and make it in a French press on weekends, but I've never known anyone who did their own roasting. Your dad is clearly a guru!

Finally: Congrats on your win! I'll be keeping an eye on your blog for the report on the Grungeboard; it looks so keen, but I've not seen it in local stores and have been timid about buying an unknown/unfamiliar product online.

Bunny B said...

OOoo.. jello cake? Looks super yummy!!! I love blueberry cupcakes with vanilla frosting! And I've never tried red velvet cake!! Would love to though! :)

LostLuggage said...

You know...my husband and I don't drink coffee...weird. I don't like hot drinks.. I know I can get it iced, but I much prefer a cola instead.

My go to recipe for cake is a great cupcake recipe I saw on Martha while ago: Billy's Vanilla Vanilla Cupcakes. A win every time!

Sherry Goodloe said...

I'm so glad we have met! Love visiting your blog *smiles*.

I love your dad and haven't even met him. But I don't need to, he's a coffee connoisseur and that's good enough for me!

Here's one of my favorite fall drinks - it's called Hot Apple Pie:
1 pack of hot apple cider mix
1 cup of boiling hot water
1 cinnamon stick
a little bit of Frangelico
top with whipped cream
Yuuummmmeeeeeeeeee

Monique said...

Congratulations on both your Etsy front-page and the contest win! So much fun! Birthday cakes in our house are tied to special likes or the season so they vary from orange cake (from the Joy of Cooking) in December to strawberry shortcake in July. :-)

Cindy said...

My fav birthday cake is white cake with chocolate frosting......simple, yes but oh so yummy

Tina C said...

Hi there - My cakeof choice is a slice of mother load cake from claim jumper - it is 7 layers of chocolaty goodness and last for an entire week...My absolutel most favorite coffee drink is a white chocolate mocha on cold days and a caramel macchiato on hot days all from starbucks of course...Keeping my fingerss crossed for the blog candy...

Kristin Hubick said...

Oh my! The fabric trim or fabric would be a dream! I'm just now getting into fabric collage!
CONGRATS on being on the front page of Etsy! HOW COOL! And congrats on winning the collage/grunge board. Happy Birthday to you eh?
xoxo,
Kristin

dolls123 said...

I love red velvet cake
luckydolls123[at]verizon[dot]net

Cherry said...

I adore cupcakes, I love swirling chocolate and vanilla cake together, it's so yummy!! This is what I made for my son's bday party. It was a HUGE HIT!! cherryrhoades @ yahoo . com

RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
1 baked 13" x 9" x 2" cake
2 to 3 cups blue icing
Green apple Sour Belts
Blue and/or green fruit leather
Candy rocks
Candy seashells
Gummy sea creatures, such as fish, sharks, and octopuses
Mini Swedish fish
Sour tropical fish
1. Frost the cake with the icing.

2. To create plants, roll or twist various lengths of sour belts and fruit leather before placing them on the cake.

3. Place candy rocks and seashells along the bottom.

4. Finish off your underwater scene by arranging schools of gummy fish, sharks, and other deep-sea dwellers.

Elizabeth Golden said...

The best cake I ever had was a swimming pool cake my grandmother made me. She cut out the center and filled it with blue jello. I got Barbie in a swimsuit that year. My favorite cake is Coca Cola cake.

di said...

I have a friend that makes the best sour cream pound cake - have not been able to wrangle the recipe from her yet! Your cake looks lovely
www.justdi.typepad.com

Lucy said...

My favorite cake is the Better Than Sex cake..lol It's not quite that good, but it'll do in a pinch :)
From All Recipes:
* 1 (18.25 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
* 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
* 2 cups hot fudge topping MY NOTE--I use CARAMEL TOPPING INSTEAD
* 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
* 4 (1.4 ounce) bars chocolate covered English toffee



DIRECTIONS

1. Bake German chocolate cake mix according to package directions.
2. While cake is still very warm poke holes in top of cake with the end of a wooden spoon, poor sweetened condensed milk over top. Let cake cool. Pour hot fudge topping over top of cake and let set. Spread on whipped topping and garnish with crushed Heath ™ Bars (toffee crumbles).

Joan said...

My newest favourite cake is the pioneer woman's chocolate sheet cake - not only is it easy to make but it tastes just yummy!!!! (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/the_best_chocol/)
Whilst i definitely enjoy a good coffee I just adore fresh Chai Tea
hugs
joan : )

Kristin Michelle said...

my favorite cake is actually cupcakes that my friend Misty makes! her cakes are so yummy she has ruined all other cakes for me!