Wednesday, December 01, 2010

DAY 1 - 12 Days of Ornaments

Well, November was a busy one! I did meet my goal of 50,000 words for NaNoWrimo though. I was so surprised. I actually finished about 5 minutes before midnight on November 30th. Talk about cutting it close! I guess I could have cheated but where is the fun in that?! I will continue to work on the book throughout the year and we'll see what happens after that.


So, I'm back into full art mode again. Today it felt so good to step into the art studio and create something, ANYTHING! I need ornaments for several friends and a Secret Gypsy package so that is what has been on the agenda today. While I'm  at it, I thought I'd do a little round of 12 Days of Ornaments. For the next 12 days I'll be sharing the ornaments I make that day, along with step by step instructions. If you have nothing else you're working on right now, feel free to play along! 

NOTE: There is a link thingie at the bottom for you to share your creations.  For every ornament you make and post to my linky thing, your name will be entered in a drawing. At the end of 12 days, I'll draw a name and send a whole envelope of supplies to make Christmas ornaments (including the blue sparkly wreath made below.) It will be lots of fun stuff, scraps, ribbons, german scrap, sparkly stuff, yummy goodies!

Today's ornament tutorial was a fun one and pretty quick. So quick I forgot to take step by step pics. I'll try to recreate there here.

Supplies:
cardstock scrap (about 2 1/2 x 5 1/2 or a 3X5 index card would do just as well)
scraps of fabric, ribbon, lace, trim, seam binding, snap strips, etc...
sparkly tinsel garland or something similar
thin sparkly thread (i used silver)
grommets (eyelets) and setter
floral wire (or any wire, mine is green)
brown ink pad
star stamp (or similar small Christmasy stamp)
patterned paper scrap
Christmas image (I used an Angel from RedLeadPaperworks.com)
sewing machine
needle and thread


1 - Cover cardstock in a think piece of fabric, I used a couple pieces of leftover eyelet fabric. Not a bit deal. It just gives structure and you don't really see it. Use up that ugly fabric you hate. SEW it to the cardstock around the edge.


2 - Line up scraps of fabric, ribbon, lace, trim, etc... until you like it on the tag. I overlapped mine except for two pieces I put on top of everything else so they would essentially make a 'pocket' for my card. SEW all of them down, careful to keep the scraps tight and straight as you go around. If you're worried about it, give them slight dots of glue or glue dots to stay in place while you sew.
3 - Trim the fabrics, laces, etc.. until you like the edging. Mine hangs over the edge of the tag about 1/3" on all sides. Yes, it's going to be a big ornament. Might use it for a doorknob decoration instead. *smile*


4 - take sparkly tinsely trim and coil in a wreath shape. I went around twice, twisting it to be more firm.


5 - Tie a bow with the sparkly thread stuff (yes, I'm real descriptive tonight.) on the wreath.
6 - Set eyelets in the top left and right corners of the ornament.
7 - Twist wire into eyelets. I tied on one side, coiled the wire around my finger to get that nice spiraly look, then wired it through the other eyelet.  No right or wrong here.
8 - Center the wreath between the two eyelets. Hold in place while you stitch down the wreath with needle and thread. This is where you'll probably want thread that matches your sparkly tinsely trim. I used a maroon.


9 - Cut out your image. Glue to a piece of patterned paper scrap.
10 - Cut scrap in a rectangle around the image (you'll want to make sure its small enough to slip in behind the ribbon/strips you sewed on top of the rest as a 'pocket'.
11 - Ink the edges of the scrap. Stamp stars or other small Christmasy stamp around image on scrap.
12 - Slip into 'pocket' and if you're worried about it falling out, add a few glue dots under the backside.

NOTE: I did stamp Merry Christmas on one of my seam binding scraps after I sewed it on there. You can do that or add a piece of paper with a sentiment.


You're done! Now, wasn't that fun?! Come back tomorrow for more fun ornaments to create.

1 comment:

trisha too said...

Eeeeyah, I've missed your arty posts.

It's adorable, of course, and I want one, and I want to make some. Gonna make some.