Monday, April 09, 2007

Book Club Picks

I just love book club. The ladies are wonderful and the books and discussion really stimulate my brain in a life of repetition and responsibilities. I love reading. There are only a few places where my breath quickens and one of them is a book store. I feel this overwhelming urge to read all the books. There is not enough time in the day to do all that I want, but I think if you MAKE TIME for things that bring you pleasure, you are a much more content person.
I went to book club tonight. We chose books for the next 8 months. There were some doozies to choose from! I can't wait to get started reading!
Here is what we picked from:
A Redbird Christmas - Fannie Flagg
Clover - Dori Sanders
Life Without Water - Nancy Peacock
Angels Rest - Charles Davis
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
The Eight - Katherine Neville
No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith
The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls
Gilead - Marilynne Robinson
Captains & the Kinds - Taylor Caldwell
March - Geraldine Brooks
Bee Season - Myla Goldberg
Friendly Persuasion - Bob Woolf
The Mud Dauber - Marion Bolick (I recommended this one)
The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield ( I recommended this one)
The House of Seven Gables - Nathaniel Hawthorne ( I recommended this one)
Chosen books:
May - No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
June - The Mud Dauber
July - The Eight
August - The Thirteenth Tale
September - The Glass Castle
October - Captains & the Kings
November - Gilead
December - Clover
After book club (held at the bookstore), I spent an hour looking through the store and found yet MORE books to add to my ever growing list I want to read:
The Rebels of Ireland - Edward Rutherfurd
The Memories We Keep - Walter Zacharius
Forgivin' Ain't Forgettin' - Mata Elliott
Family Tree - Barbara Delinsky
Friday Night Knitting Club - Kate Jacobs
The Reading Group - Elizabeth Noble
The Road From Chapel Hill - Joanna Catherine Scott
An Irish Country Doctor - Patrick Taylor
Ahab's Wife: Or, The Star-gazer - Sena Jeter Naslund
The Invention of Hugo Cabret - Brian Selznick
Blink, the Power of Thinking Without Thinking - Malcolm Gladwell
Overcoming Life's Disappointments - Harold Kushner
Repotting, 10 Steps To Redesigning Your Life -Diana Holman and Ginger Pape
My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult
Wife of the Bastard - Hilda Davis
Wife to Charles II - Hilda Davis
Harlot Queen - Hilda Davis
Cold Sassy Tree -Olive Ann Burns
October Song - Beverly Lewis
What have you read lately? Share!

No comments: