Sunday, June 29, 2008

Good Girls & Night Owls

(9 days until my beach vacation. Woo hoo!)

Saturday was another good day for art. My neatly cleaned art desk is no longer. But that's okay. I pulled out things I haven't used in awhile; metal letters, number stamps, asian papers, pressed flowers and oil pastels which are my new favorite tool again.


Good Canvas

9" x 12"
Saying is by Longfellow I believe: 'There was a little girl, and she had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good, she was very very good, and when she was bad she was horrid!'

The girl just looked like she was thinking mischievously. Used a variety of acrylic paints, oil pastels, stamps, ink, glitter glue and more. Not sure you can see the depth and layering in the background with tis picture, but I tried. Heading to
Etsy sometime today.



Night Owl Canvas
6" x 6"
This little cutie was inspired by an image I saw in a book once, where a head was collaged out of different papers. I'm into the owls lately so the canvas screamed for an owl instead. This was also a challenge to myself to work with colors I have not put together before. I'm not a fan of purple, as my friends/family will tell you. I have almost an unhealthy dislike for it. I wouldn't let either of my girls be dressed in it nor paint there rooms in any shade. Gag me with a spoon. However, I like how this came out. The colors meld well together.

I used fluid acrylics to achieve the background and layered vintage papers, book pages and asian origami paper. Pressed flowers, rubon letters and 'tattoo' on the right. Oil pastels and white pen. Heading to
Etsy as well.



I would love to hear what you think about the pieces I've made recently. Trying to do things without dwelling on them too much.

7 comments:

Rhonda Langley said...

I'm really lovin' the owl!!! Especially the pink flower eyes and the purple background. However I don't see any glitter? Just kidding they are fantastic as usual!!

Alexa said...

I love how these turned out. I am a big fan of the colors purple, reds and copper together, and this reflects my love for those. I think it is good that you are forcing yourself out of your comfort zone! We all need to do that every now and then!

Anonymous said...

Kris, these are both gorgeous - I am especially keen on the owl, however. Like you, I'm going through an owl phase. This amuses me as my grandma used to collect owls and now my daughter also loves owls. Go purple! :)

Bunny B said...

I love purple! Love the owl - it's cute! The good one is great too!

Cassie said...

I love the owl!
That is seriously fantastic!
~Cassie
http://somethingfromcassie.blogspot.com/

Paula Clare said...

Hi Kris,
I love the Owl...terribly apropos in my house (as ONE OF US is usually up until 3 or 4 a.m. doing SOMETHING!)

I love the other canvas too...love the "not thinking about it too hard" idea!

Anonymous said...

I love your art. It's amazing...